Friday, February 15, 2013

Day Ten


Today was great!  First off I helped out with storytime.  Since yesterday was Valentine's Day, today we read books relating to love.  One of the books was a Clifford the Big Red Dog book, and Carol the librarian that I was working with, brought in a Clifford stuffed animal for the kids at storytime to enjoy while she read the Clifford book.  One of the boys at storytime said that Clifford was his favorite, and was so excited to read the Clifford story.

After storytime I looked at some craft and trade magazines that Carol had to see if I could get any ideas for when I do my storytime.  I was thinking of having the kids make cards to a family member, since my storytime is family-themed, but that honestly sounds a bit boring, so I'm going to see if I can't try to come up with something else.  One of the magazines I looked at was the Oriental Trading Company catalog.  We just talked about the Oriental Trading Company in my Programming for Children and Young Adults class not that long ago -- it's a great source for different kinds of crafts, decorations, or trinkets to give away as prizes at programs like Summer Reading Program.  It was fun to look through their catalog and see all of the different things they had to offer.

After that, I helped out at the reference desk.  It was pretty quiet, so Carol and I talked, and she gave me some materials that she thought may be of interest to me, like a Black History Month activity booklet the library prints out for children. After a while a patron. came in looking for a particular book, and Carol went to help him.  They could not find the book, and when Carol told me the name of the book, I was certain I had just seen it when I walked by the graphic novels, earlier.  I went to check, and sure enough I found it.  It made me happy that I was able to help out a patron, and find a book that even the librarian was having trouble locating.  Unfortunately, although it was the correct book, it turned out to not be exactly what the patron was looking for.

For the rest of the time that I was there, Carol and I brainstormed, and searched the internet for crafts that I might be able to do for my storytime next week.  We didn't decide on anything, but I have some more ideas to pick from!

No comments:

Post a Comment