Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day Eleven


Today was pretty quiet.  I started off the day by working on my project, and compiling a list of nursing/retirement homes in the area that we could send the flyer and letter with information about the Library on Wheels and the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped to.  Once I was done with that, I worked on some more subject headings for Dori.  I'm starting to get a little burnt out with Adult Non-Fiction, as that's what I've been working on for the past few times, but I still enjoy it.  It's not very difficult work, but it makes me feel as though I'm doing something productive.

Next, I went to observe Jesse giving a lesson to one of his students, but it turned out it was at the end of a lesson so there was nothing to really observe.  What's worse is that Jesse asked me what my name was, again, because he couldn't remember.  It made me feel kind of bad, because I've been there for almost five weeks now, and I'd like to think I'm making an impression...but perhaps not.  In Jesse's defense, he's only there once a week, and I didn't see him last week, but still.  Sometimes I feel so awkward, like I don't quite fit in because I don't work there, and that certainly didn't help.

After that, I worked on the flyer portion of my project.  I think I came up with a decent flyer to advertise the LBPH and the Library on Wheels, but we'll see what Laurie thinks (she's on vacation this week). It's a bit plain, I think.  After I finished up the flyer, I spent the last hour of my time at the reference desk with Aaron, one of the librarians.  One question I was asked while Aaron wasn't there was where the nearest post office was. Otherwise, it was pretty quiet reference-wise, despite being a busy day at the library since it had been closed the day before for President's Day.  It continually amazes me how many people use the library daily; even if it's just so they have a place to keep warm.

I finally thought of a craft for my storytime on Friday.  We're going to be making puppets and decorate them to look like a family member.  The puppets are just paper cutouts in the shape of people that we're going to glue onto popsicle sticks.  I think it'll be fun! I hope the kids will enjoy it! I'm going to the Main Branch tomorrow morning for the Youth and Teen Services departmental meeting, so that will be interesting, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment