Friday, February 22, 2013

Day Fourteen


Today was an exciting day!  First off, I did storytime!!  It was really fun.  I only had one child for the actual storytime (I was honestly surprised there were any children with the weather this morning) but more children came in just in time to do the craft!  They all seemed to really enjoy themselves, and they really liked the craft, so I was pleased.  The one little girl that was there when I read the stories came up and hugged me before she left, which totally made my day.  I think I'm going into the right profession!

After I cleaned up from the craft and put my books away, I started my time at the reference desk.  It was really quiet throughout the early afternoon, so I spent part of my time looking at an American Girl catalog, because after talking to Janet yesterday about the American Girl tea party, I came to realize that there are new American Girls that I didn't even know existed!  And some of the American Girls I grew up with are "retired" now.  So I brushed up on my knowledge of the American Girl books.

Later in the afternoon, Carol, one of the librarians in the Children's library, was away from the desk and the phone rang, so I answered the call.  It was my first reference question!  The patron wanted to know when James Brown died ... it seemed a weird question to call the Children's Department for, but I searched it and found the answer for her. (He died on December 25th, 2006, in case anyone was wondering).  Toward the end of my shift a mother and her daughter came up and asked for books about Jupiter and Journalism.  The librarian was talking with another patron, so I went to help them find the books they were looking for.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any books on Jupiter or Journalism (I found some books on planets and space, but that was it) so once the librarian was free, I asked her if she could help us.  She said I could go ahead and leave, and she'd take care of it, since it was past time for me to leave.  So I don't know if the patrons found books on Jupiter and Journalism or not, but I hope they did!

No comments:

Post a Comment