Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day One



If there was one word I would use to describe my first day it would be: overwhelming.  The Douglass Branch of the Detroit Public Library system does so much!  Not only do they have a Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, but they also have a fully functioning regular library as well.  On top of that, they run the Bookmobile for DPL, which goes to both schools and senior citizens homes/centers, and they do a separate homebound delivery service for persons who wish to read books but cannot leave their home.  It was a lot for me to take in on the first day, but I think I'll get the hang of it.


I started off the day by getting the grand tour of the entire library by its director, Laurie Stuart.  After which, I observed one of the librarians, Aaron, as he got a package of books together for one of tomorrow's homebound runs.  After that, I talked with Dori Middleton, who runs the Library for the Blind and Physically handicapped.  I was surprised to learn that not only does the LBPH provide audio books for its patrons, but specialized DVDs that provide Audio Description throughout the movie.  Dori explained that one of her projects for me would be to assign subject headings to the new books that come in, as she often doesn't have time to do so.  I was then introduced to Jessie, who teaches those who are visually impaired how to use the computer.  He showed me JAWS, which is a screen reading technology, different key strokes to use to open and close programs without using a mouse, and how to magnify the screen on a Windows computer.  He also showed me a text-to-speech software that patrons use if they are unable to type using their hands.  I later was able to observe him as he taught a lesson to one of his new students.  The student was just learning how to type.  It brought me back to the days when I was just learning how to type.  I used to have a difficult time when I was first learning how to type, even being a sighted person. It astounded me how well he did, seeing as he did not have use of his vision.


I then observed at the reference desk in the main library for a while with two different librarians, Aaron and Tom.  Both showed me how to use Circe, the library's cataloging system.  It will probably be a while before I get the hang of how it works.  I made the mistake of not bringing a lunch, as I was unsure as to whether or not I would get a lunch break, as I'm not an employee.  So around 2, Laurie, the director and my supervisor, was kind enough to offer me tea and some peanut butter crackers that she had in her office.  We chatted over tea, and discussed what I would be doing with my time at the library.  We both decided that not only should I work at the Douglass Branch, to get experience at the LBPH, but perhaps spend some time at the Main Branch of DPL, as well, since they have fully functioning Children's and Teen's libraries, and I am interested in Youth Services as well as Accessibility in libraries.  We also discussed a possible project I could undertake during my practicum.  Laurie confessed that she wants to better market the LBPH, and suggested that I be the one to start that project.  I would be making flyers for the LBPH and be in charge of locating places, such as Optometrists' offices, etc., in which to place the flyers.  I would also make calls and schedule librarian visits, if places such as nursing homes need someone to come in to explain the services that the LBPH and other services the Douglass Branch offers.


Overall it was a very busy first day, and I look forward to the days to come!  I think it will be a great experience, overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment