Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day Nineteen


Today I got to weed for the first time ever!  It was exciting.  Janet was so happy that I agreed to help weed the HYPE Center for teens, because they really need to create space to add new books.  Janet told me to start off by just weeding books where that had duplicates.  The only exceptions to this were if they were classics, if they were new books, or if I knew that the book was popular.  For example, there were duplicates of a book by Maureen Johnson, but because I knew she was a popular writer for teens, I did not weed those.  I also did not weed classics like Catcher in the Rye or A Tale of Two Cities. Everything else that was a duplicate was fair game, though, and by the time I was finished, I had almost two carts full of books (and I didn't even get through the entire collection today)!  Janet is going to go through the books I weeded and see if they've circulated recently.  If they have, then they'll go back into the collection, and if not then they'll be removed from the collection.
After I had filled the two carts, Janet and I had decided that that was enough weeding for the day, and I'll weed the rest of the collection the next time I come into HYPE.  Then, I was invited to sit in on a teen advisory board meeting.  Unfortunately, HYPE does not have a set board, they invite any teen who happens to come to the HYPE center to be on the board for each meeting.  That being said, only one teen attended the meeting, although there were probably 30+ teens in the center.  This teen was interested in the Makerspace Robotics program, though, so I got to see some of the robots they have created in the past as part of the program, which was pretty cool.  I also got to see a 3D printing machine at work -- they created an iPod dock from it.  I can't even begin to explain how it works, but it's a printer that molds plastic into 3D objects, which is really impressive.  We also asked the teen who attended the meeting, plus some of the other teens who happened to be around, if they read books on eReaders, because Janet and the other HYPE librarians are trying to figure out if more books should be available for teens to read via their eReaders.  
Janet let me know that HYPE is getting a new librarian on the 19th, so that's great!  I'm looking forward to meeting her.  Tomorrow I will be in the Children's Library at the Main Library, so that should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment